Best Pole Saw Reviews: Our Top Picks 2017
Best Cordless Pole Saws
This is the first type of pole saw I will look into. Its power is measured in volts and the higher the volts, the more powerful it is. Cordless pole saws are the smallest and the weakest class of pole saws but also perfect for light cutting and pruning.
GreenWorks 20672 G-MAX Cordless Pole Saw
The GreenWorks 20672 G-MAX 40V 2.0 Amp Hour lithium-ion pole saw with 8-inch bar and chain includes a battery and charger. Equipped with an easy to adjust chain tensioning system for quick tightening of the chain, this best pole saw is a must have for gardeners.
If you have tried the saw as I have, you will discover its efficiency and speed in cutting. The weight of the saw also provides enough pressure to cut through the limbs with ease, giving you the chance to concentrate fully on the balance of the saw.
Greenworks give you fine performance and is much more cost effective. I recommend this to any serious gardener or woodcutter out there, this is not a luxury but a necessity
- An 8-inch bar for easy trimming of branches
- An easy to adjust chain tensioning system for quick tightening of the chain
- Automatic oiler feature applies oil to bar and chain when needed to ensure durability and optimal use with a translucent oil tank for a clear view of the oil level
- Three piece aluminum shaft which can be extended to 8 ft for the perfect extension
- Ease when cutting
- Relatively more expensive compared to others
The Black+Decker LPP120 20v lithium ion pole pruning saw is an excellent tool designed for pruning overhead tree branches and shrubs, high branches over the fence which up to 14 ft high.
This tool is compatible with 20V MAX lithium ion battery which provides a longer lifespan and a five time longer charge with NiCd battery. The unit also features an in line.
The unit also features an in-line power head maneuverability and visibility between tree branches. Another notable feature is its ability to get disassembled and its lightweight design for easy transport which makes this saw perfect for transporting to worksites.
You will not regret the decision to buy this pole saw. Coming from a manufacturer that has been dedicated to setting standards for innovation and design of power tools, accessories, outdoor yard care equipment among other home improvement products.
- Extension that allows an extended usability and an overhead reach of up to 14 feet
- A 20 Volt MAX lithium ion battery which provides a longer battery life for a longer period
- An 8-inch cutting bar and chain allows a maximum cutting diameter of 6 inches
- Backed by a two-year warranty
- Relatively more expensive
Poulan Pro 967044201 Pole Saw
Powerful is the word to describe the Poulan Pro 967044201 pole saw. It is an easy starting and hassles free rechargeable pole which delivers superior performance without the use of cords, gas or oil.
The once who have tried it will tell you how powerful, yet quiet it is. It is also easy to adjust the chain tension.
Its battery life is also pretty much excellent as it can do a job for a long time without recharging the battery. It’s one of the best battery tools you can find on the market today
- Extends up to 8 ft hence giving you an extra reach without having to use a ladder
- Its automatic oilier keeps your chain lubricated at all times
- Instant start allows user to fire up pole saw by pressing a button
- A longer battery life
- A quiet yet powerful pole saw
- Easier for the chain to get loose
- Manual does not specify proper chain file size
Oregon cordless 40 Volt MAX PS250-A6 Pole Saw
The Oregon is one of the best if not the best cordless pole saw with mid-mount motor design provides superior weight distribution and balance. Its engineering creates an original user-centric tool unique to the cordless tool industry.
First, the pole saw maximizes the ergonomic design, motor power and performance to produce up to 500 cuts on 2-3 size branches. Considering its 13.5 lbs the rigid and balanced structure will allow work to get done.
The high torque performance is controlled by a custom designed planetary gear reduction system hence allowing an efficient transfer of power. It creates a very positive impression on users who have used it for the first time. I would happily recommend it to any serious gardener out there.
- A powerful and efficient tool for pruning
- Instant start- free from cords, no gas-oil mixing, no pull cords, no warm-up and no emissions
- Efficient transfer of power due to a custom designed planetary gear reduction system
- Ergonomic engineering for a balanced low vibration and quiet tool
- Handle with caution since it is very sharp and powerful
Best Electric Pole Saw
The electric pole saws require machines to run on them, however they require cords so as to connect them into the power source. An advantage of these machines is that they are usually lightweight and much quieter. Below are examples of some of the best electric pole saws
Sun Joe SWJ800E Telescoping Electric Pole Chain Saw
The Sun Joe SWJ800E telescoping automatic lubrication device is made for those stubborn tree parts that you thought you would never reach. The trimming chain saw seamlessly reaches up to 15 ft overhead reach.
You can tell from this that the device is meant to reach those far tree branches that seem unreachable with an average saw. Unlike gas powered tools, this chain saw is powered electrically.
This means that you can reliably power up the saw and not have to deal with smokes, fumes, and other costly tune-ups. The manufacturers have incorporated a built-in safety switch which prevents accidental starting.
I can assure you that this device will perform its specified task without risk of any type of dysfunctional.
- Built-in safety switch to prevent accidental switching
- Electrically powered up hence no need of extra expenses like battery or gas
- No smoke or fumes produced since the device is electrically powered
- Up to a reach of 15 ft, not many chainsaws can reach this high
- Cannot be used in an area with no electricity
- Relatively costly
Remington RM1025SPS Ranger Electric Chainsaw/Pole Saw Combo
One of the products that I have used heavily and has been great. I have cleaned a lot of branches from the yard fairly easily that I otherwise would have paid someone with a truck to help me do.
In summary, this thing is a quality tool to possess, and you can be sure it is durable enough. Some of the other qualities I noticed with the Remington ranger are the saw’s ability to cut high branches 10-15 ft overhead, easy flip and lock clamps to quickly secure pole length.
It also has a non-slip grip for comfortable use and is ideal for trimming and pruning hard to reach branches.
- Ideal for trimming hard to reach branches
- Anti-rotation pole design for stable use
- 10 ft best electric pole saw with a maximum reach of 15 ft
- Easy flip and lock clamps with quickly secure pole length
- Comes with a two-year limited warranty in case of any dysfunctionality
- Not as powerful
Remington RM1025P Ranger 2-in-1 Electric Chain Saw/Pole Saw Combo
The Remington 10 inch electric saw is made for the gardeners who want to go an extra mile to maintain their yards. This tool is perfectly made for the hard to reach branches.
The first unique thing you will notice about this device is the 2 in 1 range chainsaw that has two adjustable aluminum poles which extend 10 ft to give the gardener an extra length and improved reach. The fact that it is electric makes it even better tool for pruning.
The anti-rotation pole design feature enables stable use of the device during the whole pruning operation. I have used this device, and I’m quite contented with it.
It has plenty of power and lasts a long time. It can be removed from the pole easily and be used as a small chainsaw on the ground
- Two in one detachable best pole saw, a perfect tool for hard to reach branches
- Has a powerful electric motor that will get the job done with no time
- Ability to cut high branches
- Chainsaw can be quickly detached from the pole without tools
- Has a comfortable non-slip grip
- Plastic handle, and it could break if twisted hard
- Oiler works well though it is not automatic
Best Gas Pole Saws
They are the most powerful for pruning. They are normally heavy duty equipped than other pole saws. A disadvantage with these machines, however, is that they are loud and heavy. Here are a few examples of the best gas powered pole saws you will find today.
Remington maverick 2-cycle 8 inch
The Remington maverick is one of the best gas pole saw and is a product of Remington engineers who have been known for nothing else but innovative and quality products. Trust me, this machine will do anything you want it to.
However, the most appealing feature which users of this brand will attest to is the feather weight of this machine compared to others. I find it amazing that I can easily lift the machine with no hassle.
The saw works great, and you will find great value for your money as it is relatively cheap compared to other saws. Also, the auto oiler makes sure the chain is properly lubricated.
- Reaches up to 12 ft with seven ft extension pole
- Quickstart technology makes starting easier
- Ideal for trimming and pruning hard to reach branches
- Backed by a 2 year warranty
- Relatively cheaper compare to other saws
- Auto oiler makes sure it is properly lubricated
- Connectors to the pole sometimes get loose
TrimmerPlus PS720 Pole Saw with Bar and Chain
Before I bought the trimmer plus pole chain, my house was surrounded by trees. I needed a chainsaw for the trimming around my home.
The problem was I couldn’t find a good pole saw to prune overhead branches over my house that I was afraid could fall over and cause a disaster in my house. I started researching on an ideal tool for this job.
I came across lots of good pole saws before I settled on this one. It fitted the budget plus it would get the job was done and I would get real value for my money. I recommend you try this tool too.
- Lighter and easier to use
- Large enough to handle decent sized trees
- Cuts well, chain stays on the track,
- Automatic oiler works well
- Backed by a two-year limited warranty
- The tool’s expansive height make it perfect for trimming high branches
- Less powerful compared to others
Poulan Pro 967228702 Multipurpose Pole Saw
The Poulan Pro 967228702 2-Cycle Cutting Bar Pole saw and Trimmer is a great multipurpose tool. This Cutting Bar Pole saw is very easy to run and maintain. With two cycle engine from Poulan Pro this outdoor equipment is long lasting and strong.
The people who already used it said that the performance is mind blowing, actually it is. This Cutting Bar Pole is very efficient and super easy to use.
If your yard has a lot of trees, than this is the best pick for you. The chain saw attachment cuts through some larger branches quite effectively.
- It includes two cycle engine of 25 cc
- Excellent cutting ability
- Reach up to 12 feet with arms extended
- Starts easily
- Capable of ProLink attachment
- Handle with care as it is very sharp and powerful
Factors To Consider When Buying A Pole Saw
It is important to put a few things into consideration before buying a pole saw. Below are several factors you have to look into before purchasing one.
A gas pole says generally produces more power that the rest. In the gas pole saw, power is measured in cubic centimeters (cc) the more the number the powerful the engine. So depending on the job he wants to be done, if its heavy duty, then he will need a heavy duty commercial.
Buying top pole saws is not like buying any other products. The difference is how dangerous it can be when not used properly. The risk of injury is always a constant threat to the user. It is very important to consider a safe equipment.
Your Fitness Level
As you know, pole saws require you to reach overhead branches when pruning. Your ability to reach and handle pole saws is dependent on your fitness as well as balance and ergonomics of the chainsaw itself.
More importantly is your budget. An affordable pole saw that serves the purpose of its use will give you value for your money.
Will you be able to maintain heavy duty pole saw? Consider a pole saw that is easy to maintain so that you can end up having a great time using it.
Choosing a pole saw may seem like a daunting task for any homeowner. The information above is more than enough for you to choose one pole saw that would suit your needs and budget.
After reviewing the different types of best pole saws including the electric, gas and battery pole saws, I have also added some factors you may want to consider before purchasing as a guide in the selection process.
Lawn Care Pal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, and we get a commission on purchases made through our links.